SCRIPTURE READING: Exodus 2:1-10
SITUATION: So Pharaoh commanded all his people, saying, “Every son who is born you shall cast into the river, and every daughter you shall save alive” (Exodus 1:22). When her son was born, his mother saw that he was a beautiful baby and she hid him for three months.
- Who was Jochebed? (Numbers 26:59)
- What did Jochebed decide to do when she couldn’t hide the child any longer? (Exodus 2:3)
- Who stayed behind to see what would happen to baby Moses? (verse 4)
- Who came along and found him? (verse 5)
- What did Pharaoh’s daughter do when she saw what was inside the basket? (verse 6)
- What did Miriam offer to do? (verse 7)
- Whom did she bring back with her? (verse 8)
- What arrangement did Pharaoh’s daughter make with Jochebed? (verse 9)
- When the child had grown, what did Jochebed do? (verse 10)
- What did Pharaoh’s daughter name the child and why? (verse 10)
Hebrews 11:23 says that when Moses was born, his parents hid him for three months because they saw he was a beautiful child; and they were not afraid of the king’s command. It took a lot of faith for Jochebed to put her baby in a basket and put him among the reeds by the river’s bank. She did what she had to do to save his life and left him in God’s hand. She had faith that God would find a safe place for him. She must have encouraged Miriam to stay behind to watch the basket. How her heart must have leaped with joy when she found out that Pharaoh’s daughter would care for her son. And she was able to nurse him until he grew. How bittersweet those moments with him must have been. As she held him in her arms, how she must have longed to keep him with her but when he was weaned she took him back to Pharaoh’s daughter who named him and raised him as her own. Jochebed did what was best for her child even if it meant being separated from him.
- Did Jochebed ever wonder if God would use her son as Israel’s deliverer since He delivered him from Pharaoh’s death decree?