“We remember the fish which we ate freely in Egypt, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic” – Numbers 11:5
Among the things which the children of Israel missed eating when they were in Egypt were leeks. What are leeks and what are the benefits of eating them?
Leeks are alliums. They are related to garlic, chives, shallots and onions. They add a sweet oniony flavor to soups, stews, pastas and many dishes. Perhaps this is why the Israelites were reminiscing about the days when they ate leeks.
In addition to its flavor, leeks are high levels of flavonoids, vitamins A, E, and K, and fibers. They are also rich in potassium, calcium, magnesium, copper, and iron and are fat-free. The 15 benefits of leeks are:
- Protect Your Heart’s Health
2. Increase the Strength of Your Immune System
3. Vital for The Health of Our Nervous System
4. Leeks Improve Your Vision
5. Reduce the Risk of Cataracts
6. Help Lower Blood Pressure
7. Improves Digestion
8. They Are Natural Diuretics
9. Help Reduce the Risk of Cancer
10. Eat Leeks to Lose Weight
11. Help to Treat Type 2 Diabetes
12. They Strengthen Your Bones
13. They Offer Protection Against Sunburn
14. Eat Leeks for Shiny Hair
15. Treat Acne
So, if you want to pack more flavor and versatility into your dishes, add Leeks to your diet.
Sources: Love and Lemons; Conserve Energy Future